Confessions of an entrepreneur
Over two+ years of my journey after starting Nurture Talent Academy, I have a few confessions to make and share with the readers:
* I talk more with my employees than with my wife. Though my wife does not mind it, it’s a little strange that I give less time to her than anyone else in the world.
* My employees give me more time than the time they spend with their girlfriend/boyfriend — yes the alternate hypothesis to point 1 is also true!
* We put our life in our startup, and no pleasure in the world can compare with a customer’s positive feedback.
* Negative feedback from customers does hurt us, specially when we put our life into our tasks!
* Competitors do not matter — we don’t get or feel hurt if anything happens; but trust matters and it hurts when anyone breaks it including our word to others.
* There is no rest. The first month of our launch was hectic, so we didn’t sleep (only enough to keep alive). Now two years later, it’s the same. Many people feel entrepreneurs take rest after achieving something big, but that’s a big myth. I have come across hundreds of other entrepreneurs who have no holidays — it’s just another day
* Business is tough (not that anyone ever said it was easy), but you have to play with rules and at the same time, try to break them plus make new ones.
* I have not come across a business that made over `1 crore revenue in the first year. All business plans projecting otherwise seem false to me.
* I have not come across a business that made profits in the first year of operations!
* I have seen so many articles that focus on number 10, so I included this confession. Lessons don’t come in even numbers — it’s just a marketing gimmick or a clever headline. Do not believe them, just move forward with your startup journey.
Article originally Published : http://expressbuzz.com/education/confessions-of-an-entrepreneur/375361.html on 24 Mar 2012